The Network and Communications Bureau within DPHHS is responsible for the Department’s information technology infrastructure. This position provides technical leadership within the Bureau and is responsible for network management, server systems administration, desktop and mobile computer systems administration, database administration, and integrated systems development. The Network Systems Engineer will also diagnose and troubleshoot hardware, software and connection issues, provide user support to minimize interruptions in network and computer systems, provide technical expertise and mentoring to staff of all levels and supports the integration and transition to new computer and network technologies.
*Major Duties or Responsibilities:*
*_System Engineering, Design and Integration_*
* Performs advanced networking architecture, design, and engineering duties that support agency enterprise systems and users. Identifies system data, hardware, or software requirements to meet business needs. Communicates with staff to understand specific system requirements.
* Performs in-depth engineering analysis to ensure proper operation and efficient performance of agency systems. Monitors system usage and resource consumption and tunes and optimizes system operations to reduce resource usage levels.
* Collaborates with software developers to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components. Provides advice on project design and costs. Heads various technical teams to work through agency specific technical issues and develop standards and best practices for agency specific needs.
* Works with management and systems administrators to determine new hardware and software requirements and feasibility.
* Maintains a comprehensive awareness and on-going knowledge of new developments, trends, advances in server and networking technologies and standards through study, research, and peer group activities.
* Evaluates current or emerging technologies to consider factors such as cost, portability, compatibility, or usability. Participates in or leads department and state technical product evaluations. Prepares documentation, presentations, and other technical resources for agency technical products and procedures.
* Plans, implements, and designs disaster recovery system architecture and provides guidelines for implementing secure systems. Reviews and audits security of network servers and systems to comply with statefederalhipaa and any other security policies and regulations. Makes modifications to systems as necessary to ensure compliance.
* Develops implementation plans, target testing groups, determines support paths, develops support policies and procedures.
* Coordinates with the Department of Administration in the administration and maintenance of cross Agency servers/projects.
* Administers DPHHS’s Windows-based servers and backup systems.
* Oversees efficient application delivery methods to department users through the use of Citrix, System Center Configuration Manager, Active Directory Group Policy, Scripting, and/or other currently approved methods.
* Designs, implements, tunes, and supports agency SharePoint or similar environment. Works with other technical staff and train divisional site administrators on configuration and usage scenarios.
*_Staff Training and Other Duties_*
* Leads technical project efforts and assigns duties and roles appropriately. Trains NCB technical staff on usage and administration practices. Organizes peer-group project teams as necessary to work on various phases of projects.
* Provides technical guidance or support for the development or troubleshooting of network systems. Provides expert level support for technical issues and trouble ticket escalation. Monitors system operation to detect problems.
* Instructs and educates agency technical staff in more advanced system and networking troubleshooting techniques. Mentors less experienced Department technical staff.
* Works with management to determine technical staff workload and distributes duties.
*Physical and Environmental Demands:*
This position will travel up to <5% of the time. Must be able to lift and computer equipment up to 40 lbs. Position may be required to be on-call for 24X7 support on a rotating basis.
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:*
Required for the first day of work:
* Knowledge and experience in computer hardware and software
* Knowledge and experience in network server operating systems; Microsoft preferred
* Advanced knowledge and experience in networking technologies including Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy
* Ability to research and evaluate new technologies
* Ability to teach and mentor employees
*Required Minimum Education and Experience:*
* Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
* Five years of experience in computer support or network administration.
* Other combinations of related education and work experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
* This position requires recurring federal background checks every 3 years.
**Job:** **Information Technology/Computer Science*
**Title:** *Network Systems Engineer (32199)*
**Requisition ID:** *20141196*